Mermade Moments: The Normal Girl's Guide to Saving Money



Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Normal Girl's Guide to Saving Money

 

If you read my last post, you know that we are trying to buy a house this year. Eek! After searching under couch cushions and checking all my old purses for spare pennies, I decided it was time to get serious.  I've budgeted before and was able to save $10,000 in very little time. Yo girl is back at it again. Here are the things that work for me - a normal girl who drinks too much coffee and spends all her money at Target.
  • open up a separate savings account - (if this makes sense for you) We are doing this to keep our house money separate from our individual savings accounts.
  • cut the Starbs - Make this a once a week treat and set aside the money you would be spending!
  • don't open the emails - Giiiiirl, I know that 60% off is tempting, but don't do it. Just delete it!
  • avoid Target at all costs - You can't black out and spend $200 if you don't enter those doors!
  • cook at home - This is our biggest struggle. We commute a total of 5 hours a day to work and the last thing we want to do is cook. Our wallets + waistlines will thank us though.
  • use cash - Go to the bank and withdraw a set amount of cash. I can swipe that card all day, but watching money physically disappear in front of me stops me in my tracks. 
  •  start a change jar - I have a jar that counts the change as I drop it in. Once you hit $100, roll it and take it to the bank!  
  •  recycle - We drink a lot of water, Vitamin Water, and Coke Zero in our house. I save all the bottles and take them to a recycling center for some extra cash. 
  • hoard gift cards - I don't know about you guys, but I hoard my gift cards like it's the last gift card I will ever receive. This works to my advantage because when I HAVE TO HAVE something, I can use a gift card instead of swiping my card or taking it out of my cash stash. 

What are some of your money saving tips? I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! It makes my day! If you would rather email me, feel free!

I would love to review your product, blog, etc. Please email me at miranduh007@yahoo.com