Too sweet. Too grainy. Too separated. Blah blah baking fails.
The trick is shortening. It's totes healthy, don't worry.
It's a one bowl frosting. You toss everything in, set a timer and walk away. It's also a "crusting" buttercream. It works great for decorating! You'll be like a real bakery in no time!
You will need:
- 1/2 cup (one stick) of butter
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bag powdered sugar (2 pounds)
- a dash of vanilla if you want (your frosting won't be stark white)
- add your stick of butter to the bowl
- add shortening to the bowl - I usually do 3/4 cup
- add the whole bag of powdered sugar on top of that
- if you are using vanilla, add it now (I don't)
- pour your milk all over the powdered sugar (it's fun)
- it's mixing time! use SLOW speed. I usually pulse it until it stops sending powdered sugar up into the air
- once you've got it under control, high speed baby! set a timer for 3-4 minutes and go do your thang
- come back when the timer goes off and marvel at the deliciousness you have just made
*This makes a lot of frosting!*
Coming this week...ombre rose cakes featuring this frosting!