During the day, I am a receptionist. I work for an electrical contracting company that has about 150 people internally and even more people out in the "field." Let's say 350 people total?
When you call a business - of any kind - please for the sake of the receptionist's sanity...
- say HELLO. Don't just rattle of a name.
- know the last name of the person you are trying to reach. Oh, Michael? We have 21 of those.
- no, I cannot track down the right Michael for you. Ain't nobody got time for that.
- no, we do not have a paging system. We are not a grocery store.
- if you are seeking employment, do not start with "hey yo, you hiring in dere?" No sir, we are not.
- do not call back saying Michael didn't answer. Did you leave a message?
- oh you didn't leave a message? No, I cannot go look for him.
- do not ask for the personal cell phones & emails of the owner and/or managers. you're kidding me, right?
- oh you're old friends? shouldn't you have his number then? do not make up some story of how you know the person you are trying to reach. we know when you are lying.
- do not tell me to pep up. I was plenty peppy until you called 12 times looking for Michael.
- DO NOT say "oh you're just the receptionist?" I am a lot more than a receptionist. Don't even start.
Have you ever been a receptionist? Share your stories below! I know you have some!
Let's be friends. Receptionists unite?
email : email@example.com
Pinterest : meranneduh1